Monday, September 26, 2011

Departing the marina and departing for Belize may not be the same day...

Last Saturday, Dave and I went down to the boat and met up with his dad, sister, and brother-in-law. We did not think we would have much wind but it did pick up and we had a nice afternoon of sailing.

Dave and I both returned to the boat on Sunday. I happened to stop in the office at the marina and was talking to one of the ladies who works there, who was asking about the trip. The marina owner was also there and talked to him briefly as well. One of the questions that came up again was regarding what day were we planning to leave, which is October 28. That date has been set up since early Spring. 

I walked back to the boat, and Dave and I worked on some of the stanchions. After a little bit, we discovered we had a wrong fitting. As soon as we figured out which one we needed, Dave dropped the tool in the water. (We have quite a collection of tools and gadgets under the boat in the muck at this point in time.) The marina didn't have the part in the store, so the gal sent us out to talk to the owner of the shop. The owner immediately told us that we had to be out of the marina before the departure date, and continued as he normally does to tell us about all the things that he thinks we don't know about. After that discussion, we did manage to get some work done. We finished installing the new mount for the outboard motor and tested it. I also cranked Dave up the mast to where the split is to see if we could separate the mast. Dave believes we can, but we won't know for sure until the mast is down.

As of today, Dave spoke again with the marina, and now we have to leave 5 days before our departure date. We don't understand why we have to be out, since the owner isn't leaving until November 15. We're currently looking into our options. In the mean time, next week, I plan on removing the sails and prepping the boat so the mast can be taken down. Hopefully Saturday I'll get one last day of sailing in before that happens.  We're starting to set things up for packing, like the kitchen supplies, etc.

Both of our schedules are completely crazy, trying to get everything done before our departure. One of the things I did get taken care of in the last week is securing life insurance so in case I die, Lori can only be mad at me, instead of being mad and having to move. I have every intention of getting to Belize safely and fairly certain that I might get on the plane to come home [insert Lori rolling her eyes here].

No comments:

Post a Comment