Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Week after the Arrival, Dec 7-13

It took three days to get the boat to the last 30 feet to the dock. During those three days, we ended up using the dinghy to ferry the food, the rest of our belongings, water, and then start doing assessments of the damages. There were a number of things on the trip like broken lines, roller furlings, and torn sails that we were aware of. When we arrived we found that many of the belongings had gotten much wetter than we first thought. Dave's guitar took on a fair amount of damage and hoping to get it repaired, but probably will never be the same again. Many of the tools were either rusted or corroded. One of the front holds under the bed of the v birth had a lot of linens wrapped in a large construction garbage bag to help protect it from water. When I got to it finally it was 3/4 full of mucky sea water.  Many of the linens were stained. Two sewing machines both had taken on salt water and were beginning to rust. The damages from the first three days on the gulf was quite extensive. After a number of tries over those first three days to get to the dock, with some of the local workers digging in the water around the boat, we finally got the boat to the dock, and were finally able to remove all the items from the boat.

Especially the first few days, both Dave and I had trouble with dizziness, more so in the mornings, feeling like the floor under our feet was moving. We stumbled into doorways and walls more than once. Lori did some looking on the internet and found that what we were experiencing is called Land Sickness or Dock Rock. There's not much to do other than to let it run it's course and let your system get back to normal. Some of the days we worked on the boat just a few hours, some days a little longer, but most of the time I was tired, had headaches, and no energy whatsoever. For the first week, if we weren't working on the boat, I was laying around inside the cottage and resting, not able to enjoy the sites and sandy beaches on the island.

On the 13th, Lori arrived in Caye Caulker.

1 comment:

  1. I always get land sickness. It can last up to a few weeks, but usually for women, who tend to cope with motion using brain matrixing over balance compensation. Rest works, but the best treatment is getting back on a boat.